Portal for car enthusiasts

Lantern cree xm l. XM-L T6 LEDs

Waterproof hand lamp on CREE XM-L2 viki710 writing in July 3, 2015

Super Bright 100M Underwater 1800 Lumens CREE XML T6 LED Diving Flashlight/Torch - Black - $20.31
The product was received in the online store chinabuye.com for a review for free.

For several years, quite a lot of different Chinese lanterns have been flashed through my hands - large and small, manual, head and camping. Ordering this flashlight is a consequence of my desire to have a universal flashlight for most occasions. To do this, it was necessary that the lantern:

- was water resistant enough to withstand heavy rain and being dropped into the water,
- conveniently turned on with the thumb,
- wasn't very big
- Worked on 18650 cells.

The selected flashlight model is widely available on various trading platforms, but everywhere it is positioned as a noneme. On the other hand, it is clear that it has some kind of brand prototype, but I could not determine which one.

As for the characteristics of the flashlight according to the information of the store:

Light flow: 1800 lumens,
Light-emitting diode: CREE XM-L T6,
Case material: aluminum,
Certificates: CE,FCC
Operating modes: High/Middle/Low,
Water resistance: up to 100 meters.

The flashlight came in a standard OEM store packaging - a cardboard box with a bubble wrap. Spartan delivery set - the lantern itself and a lanyard to it.

Lantern length - 15 cm.

Weight - 209 g.

Turning on the flashlight is done with a slider, not a button. In this case, the brightness of the LED depends on the position of the slider.

The slider is magnetic. This allows you to adjust the brightness without touching the contacts directly. The freedom of the slider is limited by a metal retaining ring.

Adjustment with the slider on the one hand is convenient, as it allows you to smoothly adjust the brightness, but on the other hand, due to the small size of the handle, the slider is under the thumb, and you can accidentally turn on the flashlight. The problem would be solved by fixing the slider in the off position, but unfortunately, it is not provided.

Feels like the lantern seemed even a little small to me. If you keep your thumb on the switch, then the palm is longer than the handle - and this is with my not very large hand.

Structurally, the lantern consists of three main parts - the head, the handle and the back, which are assembled using threaded connections. For water tightness, each connection is shielded with two silicone rings.

The flashlight is powered by a single 18650 battery.

It is wiser to change batteries by unscrewing the back. To make it convenient, it has special grooves. Inside - as expected, a negative contact in the form of a brass spring.

Lantern head. The lens is glass.

Between the retaining ring and the lens is an additional silicone ring for water resistance.

In the description of the store, the flashlight LED is declared as CREE XM-L T6. But the CREE XM-L T6 LED does not look like this (see picture). In the offers of similar lights on the trading floors, there is a mention that the LED is CREE XM-L2.

Visually, CREE XM-L2 differs from CREE XM-L T6 in the presence of two legs instead of three and a key on the board (shown by arrows). It also looks like the LED of this lamp. Thus, the flashlight is still on the CREE XM-L2 LED. The description is inaccurate.

In accordance with the CREE XM-L2 specification, it produces 1052 lumens at maximum power (10W), which means that the claimed luminous flux for this flashlight of 1800 lumens is too high.

Lantern lanyard has a rubber insert and is quite long - 30 cm.

This design allows you to conveniently mount the flashlight on your hand.

Lantern testing

The lantern gives a rather diffused light. In principle, this is not surprising, because it is positioned as an underwater one. And under water, the range is not particularly useful.

Below is a beamshot at maximum brightness. Light spot diameter - 190 cm. Distance from the wall - 120 cm.

Changing the brightness of the lantern with the slider, in my opinion, is best illustrated with a video:

As for the range - here is a photo at night under conditions of diffused city lighting:

As you can see, the reflector setting also allows you to shine quite far into the distance.

And finally, the waterproof test. I don’t dive, so I don’t plan to swim with a flashlight, but situations are different, and no one is safe from falling into the water. As you can see from the photo, everything is in order with the waterproofness of the flashlight.

conclusions

In my opinion, the lamp is quite successful. Among the advantages, I would note the following:

- small lamp size
- Conveniently located thumb switch
- stepless brightness adjustment,
- diffused light allows you to illuminate a large area in front of you,
- high water resistance.

Of the shortcomings - the switch slider is not fixed in the off position. Those. so as not to inadvertently turn on the flashlight, you need to follow the slider. There are also some inaccuracies in the declared characteristics of the lantern, but the Chinese constantly sin with this, and they are not critical.

Hello, I continue to get acquainted with Chinese flashlight building and I hasten to share my modest knowledge with the public.
During the sale period in the Aurabuy store, I purchased a flashlight with a head mount. The model for sale in the photographs looked beautiful and practical, as its design demonstrated the possibility of freeing hands from holding the lantern. In addition, it was reported about the huge brightness of the glow (2000 lumens) and an extended package was offered. The purchase promised to be successful. Now the cost of the flashlight is $25.34 (which indicates that the sale really took place :).

Package
The packaging of parcels in this store is approached with responsibility, the “pimples” are not spared, the cardboard box is strengthened with adhesive tape, a trifle - but nice.
Lantern Packing:
Thick cardboard box, with a glossy finish, clear inscriptions and colorful illustrations. Her size:

Inside the box there is a form of foam rubber, in which "parking" places for the contents are neatly cut out.

The packaging is just lovely, I didn’t even raise my hand to throw it away.

Specifications:

Peculiarities:
Diode used: CREE XM-L U2 LED, high power and brightness;
The output light is bright, can approach the maximum 2000 lumens;
Specially designed deep parabolic reflector, produces a perfect and super long beam of light;
A stainless steel retaining ring protects the main components of the flashlight;
The rotating head will allow you to zoom in or out of the lighting;
Made from durable aircraft-grade aluminum;
Tempered glass with anti-reflective coating; This is how the word "plastic" is simply translated
Waterproof according to IPX-7;
Specifications:
Light beam color: white
Distance: 200m
3 light modes: High / Strobe / SOS - Does not have memory for modes, modes are switched by holding the on / off button for a longer time
Body Material: Durable aluminum alloy
Lens: Tempered glass with anti-reflective coating
Switch Position/Type: Side/Button
Powered by: 1 x 18650 or 3 pcs AAA (not included)
Package size: (L x W x H): 18 x 12 x 8 cm
Package weight: 430 g
Packing list:
1 x Lantern
1 x Belt
1 x Mount Clip

Appearance
Assembled:

Dimensions: length - 9.5 cm, width (with head) - 7 cm, head diameter - 3 cm, battery compartment diameter - 3 cm.
Weight (with battery) - 205 gr

Disassembled

The body of the flashlight is metal, the mount is soft rubber, the lens is plastic.

The build quality of everything is very good. The threads on the joints are even, there is lubrication. The on/off button works well.

The head of the lantern rotates smoothly. The elastic bands are elastic and elastic, they do not cling to the hair, moreover, they are regulated according to the volume of the head. The paint is applied neatly and evenly. The blue color is also present on the inside of the lantern head, creating a small blue halo at the beginning of the beam.
Diode is like this:

On the head:

The head is quite comfortable, the elastic bands do not press, the weight of the flashlight is practically not felt.
The direction of the light beam and its width can be adjusted.

Glow example:
Next to my other flashlight (XML-T6 with a declared brightness of 900 lumens, powered by 2 * 18650)

Someone obviously does not finish, or there is no 2000 lumens, or there are more than 900 lumens :).
The flashlight consumes battery energy - economically (batteries have not been used yet), heats up, with prolonged use - moderately.
Other accessories:
battery cylinder

battery container

Bicycle holder

Purpose:
In general, a flashlight is needed in order to see something in the darkness.
The reviewed model can be mounted on the head or, for example, screwed onto the handlebars of a bicycle. The handlebar mount will still limit the field of view, so I plan to use it on my head. In this case, the flashlight will be on the same side as the eyes, and will be able to unmistakably illuminate the place where they look.
I am already looking forward to the onset of the warm season, when, having put this wonderful lantern on my head, I can ride a bicycle at night.

Conclusion:
Beautiful, bright and comfortable flashlight.
I have only positive impressions after checking its performance. To do this, illuminating my path with my forehead, I walked along the dark streets. Now I can say with confidence: the flashlight illuminates the earth at night - it's great and I could be seen from afar.
In my humble opinion, this flashlight is a great purchase.

Read more about flashlights here.

Recently in the lead, powerful Cree XLamp XP series LEDs are gradually losing ground, giving way to more advanced copies of the XM-L and XM-L2 series. The new chips have surpassed another brightness milestone, and Cree's first and second generation XM-L LEDs have quickly been adopted by leading lighting manufacturers. Despite the fact that the first generation of XM-L LEDs was released back in 2011, the chip turned out to be so successful that it still remains in demand. The most famous representative of the XM-L family of the first generation was the T6 LED group. With high performance, XM-L T6 emitting diodes are an excellent solution for designing lighting products.

Main characteristics

The XM-L LED crystal has a size of 5x5 mm and is visually larger than its predecessor from the XP family. Its distinguishing feature is the green backing. This family of light emitting diodes has a high light output with a typical thermal resistance of 2.5°C/W. With an operating current consumption of 700 mA, the nominal voltage drop is 2.9V. The 3.02mm hemispherical lens provides a 125° beam angle.

Luminous flux parameters

The most important parameter of any light emitting diode is the luminous flux. Cree has measured the actual minimum lumen output of the XM-L at 700 mA and an ambient temperature of 25°C. Also, for reference, the calculated values ​​\u200b\u200bare given at a current of 1000, 1500 and 2000 mA.

Heating the LED crystal inevitably leads to a decrease in brightness. For example, heating up to 75°C leads to a decrease in brightness by 10%.

Cree ranks lumen output by group and . There are currently 9 groups in the XM-L series. Crystals of the S4 group (164 lm) have the smallest flux of light, and U2 crystals (300 lm) have the largest. The most common are the LEDs of the T6 group, which have a minimum luminous flux of 280 lumens at a current of 700 mA. LED XM-L T6 have proven themselves both in the organization of artificial lighting of large commercial facilities, and in the design of hand-held flashlights. They are produced in cool and neutral white color in the range of color temperatures from 5000 to 8300°K.

T6 color bins and delivery kits

The LED bin is an indivisible region on the CIE-1931 chromaticity diagram. The need to introduce the concept of "bin" arose due to the fact that with the help of color temperature (TCV) it is impossible to perform an accurate gradation of light sources. The need for a more discrete approach to dividing white LEDs has led to the emergence of a new ANSI C78.377A color standard. The standard provides for 8 bins of Tcv with indication of permissible deviations in the entire space of white light on the CIE-1931 chromaticity diagram.
The difference in color between the ANSI C78.377A bin areas is easily noticeable, so large light emitting diode manufacturers additionally divide each area into several parts.

Cree has its own version of color standardization based on the ANSI C78.377A standard. Ordering LEDs from Cree with only a specific bin is not possible due to the small size of the bins and technological difficulties in mass production. The developer supplies the XM-L LEDs in kits, each of which includes several bins. You can recognize the bins included in the set by two characters at the end of the set code.

There are 6 delivery sets for LED XM-L T6: 50, 51, 53, E1, E2 and E3. The E3 kit additionally indicates the neutral tone of the LEDs, the rest indicate cool shades.

For example, an E1 package might contain 4 bins. In other words, if E1 is specified in the kit code, then the tone of the LEDs included in it will correspond to only 4 bins (1A, 1B, 1C, 1D).

Hello, friends! Today we will talk about bicycle accessories, because the season can already be considered open. The most important of these are the means that increase traffic safety. The most important thing is the bike helmet. It is advised to purchase it in offline stores, with fitting at the place. The second in a row will be bicycle lighting. A headlight/lantern and a taillight are mandatory for safe driving in the city and even more so outside the city. Just buying them over the hill is a nice thing, in our stores they are sold at a 2-3 times extra charge.
I accidentally stumbled on a headlight already with 5 XM-L-T6 LEDs, and I became very curious to feel it. I contacted Sunny from DX and after just a huge amount of time (thanks to our native mail) I received it for testing.

Here she is, beauty. I want to immediately draw your attention to the fact that there are no batteries or a charger in the package. The input voltage according to the passport is 5.4 ~ 12 V, I had batteries for ~ 8.4 V, 2S2P from the usual 18650, and we will test with them.

We climb inside, for this we need to unscrew the "crown". A sealing phosphorescent ring is laid between the glass and the crown. On the body itself there is a groove with a rubber ring. There is no silicone lubricant. Chip, field-effect transistor driver, sawn-off marking. It may well be that this is not a driver, but an opamp for adjacent SMD LEDs. By the way, they report the level of the supplied voltage and will tell you about the impending death of the battery.

An inductance is hidden on the reverse side, under it is a field switch, and its small strapping. The driver board is labeled YYTD84-05

The LED board is glued to the aluminum base with hot glue. Additional clamping is carried out through the diode pads themselves by a reflector; for this, gaskets are made of white plastic. The reflector is attached to the base with 2 screws. The big-eyed have already realized that the Chinese are cunning, calling this headlight XM-L-T6. In line with this is the XM-L2, which is the next step in the evolution of the XM series. This is evidenced by the presence of two wires inside the assembly and dotted perforation of the substrate. These diodes are more efficient than the previous generation, but which BIN- is not clear.

We solder into the power wire, measure the current at maximum mode. In this case, the voltage on the battery is 8.1 V, we get about 12 watts. Let's say 1 W will settle on the converter, which means 10-11 W go into the light. It immediately follows that the diodes do not operate at full power. But this is very cool. The LED efficiency curve is such that as the current flowing through it increases, its luminosity increases, but not as much as we would like. But at the same time, heating increases significantly and, as a result, its efficiency decreases. So, from the point of view of simplicity of design and common sense, it is better to put a series of diodes and power them at half power than fry them at full power and try to cool them somehow.
To complete the picture, in the middle mode, the current is 0.3 A. For the old headlight, a link to which will be later, these values ​​​​are 1.3, 0.8 and 0.4 A

The batteries are charged, you can start the combat comparison.

We will compare the headlights with which my wife and I ride at night. Charging and battery are used from them.

From the bike and tripod to the wall of the building is about 40 meters. The camera was in manual mode and at the same settings throughout the frames.

1)T6 XML-T6, maximum mode.

2)T6 XML-T6, medium mode.

3)T6 XML-T6, weak mode. In all modes, a noticeable bright middle, and a slight side illumination. Damn, I used to think that this is a great side illumination. But then you will understand how wrong I was.

4) 5 x Cree XM-L T6 3000lm max mode. This is a pancake chic side illumination!!! 111. I was shocked when I turned it on for the first time. The beam is wide, flooding, a real flood light!

5) 5 x Cree XM-L T6 3000lm, medium mode. The next mode is useless to shoot, it's a very annoying strobe. An excellent mode for driving during the day, motorists fire it from afar.

This is what the path looks like from the point of view of a cyclist.

Photos in the entourage.

It's time to sum up. Farah liked it a lot. Liked it so much, just like the first time I switched from a 100500 LED flashlight to one with a 3 watt LED. More than comfortable. The only thing is that this thing will blind oncoming pedestrians and motorists, so it should be tilted lower and, if necessary, immediately turned off. Get used to the fact that drivers will wink at a distance.

Of the frank minuses is that there is no charger and batteries in the kit. For those who buy as an upgrade, great, no need to pay for what is already there. And for those who buy from scratch, I would advise you to buy everything in the collection.

With the initiative of me, the first post -))

I plan to buy +66 Add to favorites Liked the review +60 +138

An American company with a thirty-year history produces the best semiconductor products. The Cree XM-L T6 LED is one of the most popular high-power LED models. From its inception in 2011 to the present, it has been the company's best-selling led. All this thanks to its performance and quality.

Advantages of XM-L T6

The cree xm-l chip has the shape of a square with sides of 5x5 mm, and is located on a green substrate. This distinguishes it from previous and new generations of LEDs, which have a gray substrate. From above, the LED is protected by a transparent one, with a radius of about 3 mm. The main advantage of the LED is its luminous flux, the values ​​​​of which vary depending on the color temperature.

The thermal resistance value is about 2.5°C/W. The aluminum heat-removing substrate can be star-shaped with a diameter of 20 mm, as well as round with recesses, with a diameter of 16 mm. The thickness of the substrate is 2 mm.

Main settings

The dimensions of the LED are not very large, especially considering its glow parameters.

LED Dimensions

The main parameter of Cree XM-L is the luminous flux. For the T6 model, the minimum luminous flux is 280 lm. In this case, the current is 0.7A. With an increase in current to 1 A, the minimum luminous flux will be 388 lm, respectively, at 1.5 A - 551 lm, at 2A - 692 lm.

These data are obtained theoretically, in practice, normal operation is guaranteed at a nominal current value of 700 mA.

The voltage drop in this case does not exceed 2.9 V. The scattering angle is 125°. The color rendering index is in the range from 80 to 90 Ra. The figure below shows the current-voltage characteristic at normal ambient temperature.

CVC of Cree XM-L T6 LED at normal temperature

The following graph shows the relative drop in luminous flux as the temperature rises to 150°C.

CVC LED Cree XM-L T6 at 150 degrees

Detailed specifications

The luminous flux cree t6 depends on the color temperature, for this a characteristic is introduced - the LED bin. If we consider this model, then there are 8 variants of bins. They are indicated by a number and a Latin letter, for example, 0D, 2A, 3B and so on. A bin corresponds to a specific color temperature with a tolerance. For example, Cree XM-L T6 4C will have a neutral white tint. The manufacturer provides delivery kits for sets with different bins, because it is technologically impossible to single out a specific one. There are 6 standard delivery kits, 5 of which are cold white, 1 is neutral. The original packaging always shows the kit code 50, 51, 53, E1, E2 or E3. In addition to cree t6 wc, there are 14 more groups in the XM-L series. The minimum luminous flux and the most yellow tint will be in the S4 group, and the maximum and, accordingly, the purple tint in the U2 group.

What driver is needed for this LED?

The maximum brightness of the led and the number of operating modes depend on the selected driver. A typical Cree XM-L T6 LED driver should meet the following parameters:

• nominal input voltage - 4.2 V;
  • output current up to 3 A.

The task of the device is to ensure the stabilization of the output current within narrow limits. This guarantees a reliable glow and a long service life. Often the characteristics of the driver provide for 5 modes of operation of different capacities. But there are options. The video shows a diagram of how to assemble a driver with your own hands.

A cheap microcontroller, a MOSFET, a resistor and a capacitor are used.

Where XM-L T6 LEDs are used

This type of led is widely used in many areas, this applies to both outdoor and indoor decorative lighting. But the most popular product based on this semiconductor device is the UltraFire E17 handheld flashlight.

Flashlight UltraFire E7 with CREE XM-L T6 LEDs

Many indisputable advantages of the product are due to the fact that it uses a high-quality LED, which ensures operation of about 100 thousand hours. The design of the flashlight itself provides for focusing the light flux with the help of a sliding part of the body. Power comes from batteries or accumulators. The driver installed here is designed for just 5 operating modes: maximum power, medium, weak, strobe and SOS.

Summing up, we can say that the Cree XM-L T6 is one of the most sought after ultra-bright LEDs in the line. The design of the star substrate provides the best heat dissipation, which is an important parameter for powerful devices, because with overheating, the led loses its light output. The quality and service life is guaranteed by a well-known American brand.